Wednesday 19 August 2009

Breaking down........not what you think!

I broke down today. For once I don't mean my mental health took a turn for the worst. Encouraged by my wife to go out on my trusty Triumph (motorcycle!) for an hour and enjoy the lovely weather I did just that. Unfortunately a small electrical fault saw me marooned on the side of a busy road whilst waiting for a recovery vehicle. These things happen!

Significantly I was not even remotely anxious about it. I have breakkdown cover with my insurance so I knew that whilst I might have to fix the 'bike at home it was unlikely to be expensive and I was not going to be struggling to get home.

So why, I am wondering, did I not get anxious about the day's disaster when I get overwhelmed with anxiety about money most of the time? If I could answer that question I wouldn't need my Doctor and CPN any more! But it has made me think and those thoughts, today, are positive. There are times when I do deal effectively with stress and anxiety; I am able to rationalise situations and circumstances so that my perceived level of emotional trauma is diminished. Simply put (and continuing yesterday's toolbox analogy) I do have the skills I need but I have yet to learn their application in those areas of my life which need them most, that is to say, my mental health and the levels of anxiety associated with it.

I think that puts a positive slant on the day and gives me, and hopefully those who are reading, encouragement for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment