Wednesday 26 August 2009

Collateral damage

Any patient taking any form of medication for an extended period of time will tell you that the whole thing is a trade off. What I mean by that is that whilst some medication is actually 'fit for purpose', that is to say it actually does have a positive impact on cause and symptoms, the side effects can be unpleasant.

I mentioned this in my blog a few days ago. For the mental health patient side effects can be dramatic and distressing; that is, the prescription may be correct but the impact of the side effects is not just physical it upsets you mentally as well. For me, suffering headaches and feeling nauseous for much of the day doesn't exactly encourage me to feel particularly positive! And those are just two of the side effects!

It seems to me that some medication really does take a sledgehammer to crack a nut. The question is at what point does one simply say 'enough and no more'. For the time being I am going to press on and do exactly as my medical team have advised. But the sledgehammer is a powerful weapon and right now that weapon is causing a fair amount of collateral damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment