Thursday 3 September 2009

Reducing the damage on half measures

In one of my recent blogs ('Collateral Damage' 26 Aug 09) I described the unpleasant side effects of some mental health medication. Some of the side effects have a negative effect on the patient's sense of well being for whilst they may be necessary in a pharmacological sense, simply put, if they make you feel like rubbish you don't exactly feel like you are making any progress.

I spoke with my consultant about this a couple of days ago. I fully expected my medication to be changed again. Instead he suggested reducing the dose, thus (hopefully) minimising the side effects, and seeing how I get on. As I write this I am on half measures!

I don't know what is going to happen next. I do know that this change has produced an additional layer of anxiety - but then I 'do' anxiety as regular followers of this blog know only too well! But I also know that my long term goal has to be psychological therapies (rather than medical-chemical ones) and self-reliance. If I am totally honest I would say this is still a small light at the end of a very long tunnel.

Nevertheless, this recent change may brighten the light or shorten the tunnel - or maybe both! If the side effects diminish without any sense of my mental health regressing I will be extremely pleased. For the time being I am very anxious but am hoping and praying for this most positive of outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment